Monday, September 19, 2011

spotlight punching tutorial for Gingersnap Creations


I made a monogram card using this no-stamping technique earlier in the year. Many people commented that it looked quite tricky. I wanted to show you how easy it really is. To do this technique you will need



- an "anywhere" hole punch with interchangeable heads. 3 sizes. I use a making memories punch that requires the use of a hammer (very loud and very therapeutic)
-a post-it note and pencil
-a card blank
an insert (preferable sparkly coloured paper)

How-to:
1) draw the outline of your numbers (or letters, or even shape e.g. heart) onto a post it note. Doing it this way means that you don't have any pencil lines to rub away at the end and you can redraw as many yimes as you like (drawing is NOT my strength. If you really can't draw you could always print letters out from your computer.

2) postion on card (landscape or portrait, it doesn't matter)

3) take your LARGEST punch and randomly punch within the shape. Make sure that some go right up to the edge. Fill the shapes.

4) with your MIDDLE size punch fill in the gaps between the larger holes, again make sure that some go right up to the edge.

5) now do the same with the SMALLEST punch. (always go from large to small as it's about filling gaps).

6) remove the post-it note and check it looks okay. add more holes if required.

7) add an insert, to complete the card.

Here's another example of the same technique with some extra embellishment.


i am entering the star card for the less is more 1000 challenge

18 comments:

  1. I don't have one of those little hammer things but these cards are fab. Great technique and very effective. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, so thats how it's done! looks fabulous, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and I love the effect !

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is SO cool - I'll have to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is soooo effective, it would be a great 'quick' christmas card, might try it tomorow (housework allowing)yes it has to be done sometimes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great technique--very nice effect!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never in a million years have thought of this - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome way to add pizzazz! Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely different. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an idea that I will definately try -if only for the theraputic benefits !! thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous card - thanks for sharing the technique. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that so clever, I love it.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just brilliant Joanne
    Thanks for the tut
    Simplest methods are often the best!
    Thank you so much for participating in our 1000 entry challenge
    Mandi
    LIM

    ReplyDelete
  14. How clever and how very effective. I think I might have to give this one a go.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just great Joanne, I had a go at this technique after I'd seen one you did for us.
    FAB!
    Thanks again.
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous. I will want to do case this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll definitely be giving this a try. I love how it looks...so unique and creative!!

    ReplyDelete

word verification is off! thanks for all your lovely comments, they mean so much to me!