Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Ribbed hat: free pattern using James C Brett Pulse yarn.



I bought this lovely thick and thin type yarn on a whim while visiting the lovely B&M fabrics in Leeds (a stone's throw from the new John Lewis store and well worth a visit), I fully intended to make a hat, but wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with it.
(James C Brett Pulse Chunky)

I tried crocheting it and just didn't love it, so set off making a straightforward ribbed hat. I am writing up the pattern here as it wasn't a yarn I had worked with before and I would have found a pattern useful, and I'm really pleased with how the decreases worked out.


In this pattern I am assuming knowledge of knitting in the round by whatever method you choose (I use the magic loop method)

The ball band states 6mm needles but I chose to use 5mm for a denser fabric and I love how it turned out.

I have designed it as an average woman's size but it is VERY stretchy so would fit a man and I think without the bobble, looks very masculine.

MATERIALS
1 x 100g ball James C Brett Pulse Chunky
5mm Circular needles
a pom-pom (optional)

PATTERN
Cast on 88 stitches (or any multiple of 8 for the decrease method to work) using your preferred method (I use thumb method)

2x2 rib (K2 P2) for 57 rounds

start decrease pattern

1) *K2  P2 S1 K1 PSSO P2* repeat from * to * to end of round
2) *K2 P2 K1 P2*  repeat from * to * to end of round
3)  *K2 P2TOG K1 P2TOGTBL* repeat from * to * to end of round
4)  *K2 P1 K1 P1*  repeat from * to * to end of round
5)  *K2 S1 P2TOG PSSO* repeat from * to * to end of round
6)  *K2TOG P1*  repeat from * to * to end of round
7)  *S1 K2TOG PSSO* repeat from * to * to end of round

you should be left with 11 stitches on your needle (or an eighth of the number you started with), pull yarn through these stitches and fasten off.

 There is actually this much yarn left - enough to make a pom pom ( I recommend this method) but I had a furry pom pom that I wanted to use.

This is another one I made but with James C Brett marble chunky and a crochet pom pom. This used exactly half of a 200g ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

word verification is off! thanks for all your lovely comments, they mean so much to me!