Thursday, January 22, 2009

TGIF books (and matchbook tutorial)

I'm really honoured to be the guest host at TGIF this week, where the theme is books, also one of my favourite themes as I love to use book pages in my work.
I made a matchbook notebook like this for my second piece in this months stamping contrasts article in craft stamper magazine, but as it was my second piece I didn't really get much space to explain how I did it, so I thought I would include full instructions here if anyone is interested.






materials: card, paper, trimmer, scorer, stapler, adhesive



trim a strip from the card (size isn't really important, it depends how big you want your notebook to be)



score 3 small strips of equal size.



fold up as shown


bend down the cover so that it overlaps the fold a little, not all the way as you need to allow room for stapling.


and fold


cut paper smaller than the cover for pages


open out and lay pages so they lie against the first score line, on the right side of the card (i.e. the side that will show on the outside of the book)


staple in place


the staples should be close to the bottom of the page (gives more room for the cover.) do not worry about stapling neatly, you will not see the staples


turn over and apply adhesive to back of first scored bit


fold up so the adhesive sticks this bit down.


you can now close the notebook and decorate at will


(all stamps on TGIF piece by non-sequitur)

37 comments:

  1. This is lovely Joanne, thanks for the instructions and great to see you as guest designer too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joanne this is fantastic book and lovely tutorial. I love Alice.

    Thanks for this wonderful entry as Guest-Designer on TGiF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, and it's not very clear in CS what this is, so it's good to see one open etc...fantastic idea. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutelty gorgeous and thank you for this great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous, Joanne. I think I'll have to make one now that I have the full instructions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a tutorial. Great job. I did several books but its always good to learn a new way of putting it together.
    Gordana

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous ! thanks for the great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Match book. Really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful book Joanne.Great theme.Will be trying this one..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful book! Thanx for your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely gorgeous and inspiring project Joanne. Thank you for the turtorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. and if I get stuck all I have to do is look to my left as I am lucky enough to own this, so have no excuse not to join in - thankyou Joanne its even more fantastic in RL. I love the small heart, eggs and zoomz detail in the corner, and to use Alice pages is a perfect touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful!! thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely card and inspirational tutorial. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful book and thank you so much for the clear instructions

    x Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is truelly amazing .
    Thanks for this great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely book joanna.
    thank you for a great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanne, thanks for the tutorial. Love your new background.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this is quite an inspiration piece. I love what you've done in putting all the together. Fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  20. congrats Joanne, a lovely project. I love the idea of the print strip along the bottom with the name on top.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joanne, I've nominated you for an award. It's on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the guest host slot Joanne, love your book and what a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was so excited when I saw that you were the guest this week! Your piece is so imaginative. What a pleasure to learn how you made this fantastic match book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love little matchbooks like that! Very cute! I hope your parcel arrives soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Tutorial is fab and the matchbook is gorgeous X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Joanne, this is fabulous, thanks for the tutorial, it really is gorgeous. joey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great matchbook, love the theme. Thank you for such a great tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely Joanne - thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for a neat tutorial :) Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely joanne,great tutorial-just fabxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now how did I get my head in a spin so badly that I missed this! Awesome project and great instructions! I don’t know if I can decorate it as well as yours but I am going to give it a go :))

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautifully created, Joanne! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just had to come and see your tutorial as blue eyed Linda had a link. Wonderful and inspiring, thank you for sharing Joanne!

    ReplyDelete

word verification is off! thanks for all your lovely comments, they mean so much to me!