Monday, September 08, 2008

Fairy Wands



I am very proud to say that I am the guest host at Mixed Media Monday this week, and the theme is "stars"
This is an idea I originally had when a friend asked me to "do something" to a toy wand to make it look a bit better for her daughter to carry as a bridesmaid. I didn't stamp on it, I managed to resist, but it gave me the idea of making my own wand that could be sent as a greeeting. The back of the star is left blank for a message. I also thought that it would look nice as a tag tied to a gift wrapped in silver paper. The stamp is by paper artsy and the background paper is by papermania. I cut two stars using a fiskars shapecutter template, and I sandwiched the handle between. The handle is made from rolled up paper, but I have put some floristry wire inside to in order to prevent "wand flop". this allows the roll of paper to be squashed between the stars for a smoother finish. I'm really hoping that my wand will inspire others to have a go at wand making, I'd love to see what other people do. otherwise I am just looking forward to seeing everyones' "star" creations.

I have also made this gold one for the One Powerful Hour challenge. I love these colour challenges as I get everything out of that colour and just play! I even used some gold zuzu paper (I don't know what it's called, but if you are a regular on louise crosbie's blog, you'll know what I mean). even the handle is just made from gold paper. All stamps are by Inka

32 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC! well done Joanne. I've always loved that PA stamp and it looks really good on the wand. The gold version works just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Joanne - what a great idea. PS check out inchy blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great challenge Joanne - I might try and give this a go later today - so does your wand work?? :0))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the other one is gorgeous too, Joanne! Thanks for being guest host this week! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being guest artist!
    lol @ zuzu paper...not heard that expression for a while :0) This is a brilliant idea Joanne...they look magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a wonderful challenge, thank you! Your wand is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh they are simply fabulous...I love how you combined so many different gold elements onto one small star and the ribbons and phrase are just marvelous!

    Thanks for taking the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are both gorgeous, but I do love the gold one. I'd try it if I had a proper star shape, but freehand cutting/drawing I'm just no good at! lol

    the paperartsy stamp was perfect fot the white one, great ideas there Joanne, as always a great inspiration.... and lol @ zuzu paper, I think that should be what it's called anyway!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joanne that previous comment was me, in the wrong account....lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is so cute. cute angels on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these wands infact I think I want to become a fairy so I can wave one. Lovely images and so simple yet effective. Pascale :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The star wands are awesome! I love the theme this week! Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these.. something very christmassy about them for me.. especially the gold one.. and lol and gold Zuzu paper. Its just plain old crinkle mulberry paper (in gold). I cant seem to get it any more its always sold out lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your guest hosting of MMM. Not only are your wands gorgeous, but useful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are lovely - I love the magic of fairies

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea Joanne, congratulations on being guest artist. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love both the fairy wands Joanne, brilliantly created, a fav Paper Artsy stamp of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your wands Joanne! They sound fairly straightforward to make too! Thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great challenge Joanne!! Lovely work for this theme also :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these wands Joanne, perfect as an alternative card.

    Congrats on being guest artist.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful idea, and they look absolutely beautiful, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joanne, fantastic theme! Adorable wand! I enjoyed your description of how it came to be and how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was a wonderful challenge, love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are all just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh no! Fairy wands could become my new obsession. I love what you did with them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are just beautiful--just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fantastic original idea Joanne - LOVE it and a very worthy guest artist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is one of my favorite projects that you have done! You can just feel whimsical the magic!

    ReplyDelete

word verification is off! thanks for all your lovely comments, they mean so much to me!