Sunday, February 28, 2010

crochet egg baby!!





okay okay, so I know this is probably the oddest thing I have ever posted on my blog, but let me explain.
My fabulous local yarn shop, Baa Ram Ewe, are having an easter competion. (if you go to their website, my mug cosy is currently on the home page) We have been provided with a polystyrene egg to decorate however we see fit, with yarn, of course. I thought of bunnies and chicks and humpty dumpty and even a ballerina mrs humptydumpty (I knew my brain was starting to go out at weird tangents at this point). But then I started thinking about what easter and spring were really about, new life, and as I started to look at the egg, which I had been fondly carrying around I started to see it as a baby.
my only fear now, is that it's going to end up on the "what not to crochet" site (I love that site).

on a technical note, the egg was covered with amigurumi style double crochet (single crochet if you are american), crocheted straight onto the egg to ensure a good fit.


The blanket is simple made with a series of dc's and spaces, with a crab stitch border on 3 edges.
The eyes and tuft of hair are sewn on, and the cheeks are coloured with marker pen.


On a more normal knitting note. I have made my favourite cardi pattern for a friend who has just announced that she is pregnant. I have made this pattern sew many times that the pattern is falling apart and I am contemplating buying a new one (the pattern is teddy 7177)
(I know my raglan seams are "well dodgy" but I know what I did wrong so please ignore them)

The yarn is sirdar snuggly in "wobble" colour, which is far nicer in real life than the photos make it look. I bought two balls but only just broke into the second ball so I had plenty left, so I decided to make these "snugg" boots. I got the pattern from Knitting magazine, but it is in this sublime pattern book if you are looking for the pattern

12 comments:

  1. Very good, very good! Love the funny little egg, and the baby sweater is darling. I love raglan sweaters! Did you knit that in one piece, or did you add the sleeves afterward? What a nice gift for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, love love love your egg!

    The cardi and boots (I want a pair!) you've made for your friend are gorgeous and she'll love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne - what can I say!! LOL what a fab idea. all mums will want one of these for Easter. i'm sure your friend will love her cardi and bootees too. they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever and creative girl you are, Joanne! Love this little egg baby! And what a beautiful baby sweater! I love knitting scarves, but I'm scared to death of clothing patterns--can't follow them properly!

    Thanks for sharing these lovelies--hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I want that baby egg & please can you knit me some Snuggs (adult 6!!!)LOL?!!!!
    Sooo fab :o)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww and awwww, both the cutest baby egg and the adorable cardi...

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwwwwwwwwwww

    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    I love them all!!!!!!!

    From the tuft of hair on the egg baby to the little boots awwwwwwwww....and the cardi is sooo gorgeous.

    Why didnt I know you when I had my boys as babies awwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wowwwwwwwwwwwww - absolutely love the egg love it love it love it. As for the booties and cardigan - they are not doubt going to a very yummy mummy who will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your friend will be over the moon with the cardi and booties,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous projects Joanne, love that sweet little egg baby. I'm sure your friend will love the cardi and boots.

    ReplyDelete

word verification is off! thanks for all your lovely comments, they mean so much to me!